NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand

The etymology of the name of Bry, written before Bri or Brie, which could result from the Gallic word "briva" designating a bridge, indicates that our city probably owes its existence to a crossing point on the Marne used since ancient times.

The origins of the city date back to the Neolithic. The bones discovered by Adrien Mentienne in 1903 are those of a "big beef" 15000 years ago.

         
       
vign squelette 0 vign bijoux 0

             In 1982, in the courtyard of the school Henri Cahn,
found the skeleton of a young woman who lived in the 5th century. A human presence proved between the 4th and the 6th century, as evidenced by the Gallo-Roman and Merovingian necropolis discovered in 1886. The 1st record date of 861.

The Lords of Bry are mentioned for the first time in the 11th century. They resided in a mansion known as "Fort Hôtel", located in the Park of the current Foundation Favier, rue du Four.
In 1130 a first church was built. At the beginning of feudalism, the territory of Bry splits between monastic and secular Lordships.

vign malestroitIn 1404, Robert of Châtillon, Chamberlain and cousin of the King, became Lord of Bry.
In the 15th century, the fief belongs to Jean de Malestroit, Brittany Chancellor and cardinal. His mansion is located at the exact location of the current Hotel of Malestroit.

Between 1694 and 1696, Nicolas de Frémont, marquis of Auneuil, bought out the two Lordships and build a new hotel, our 'Bry Castle", which Étienne de Silhouette, controller general of finance, former Minister of State, then became owner. The reconstruction works were completed by his nephew and heir, Mr. de Laage, former farmer-general.

In 1803, the Prince de Talleyrand becomes tenant of the castle for 7 years. Then, the Baron Louis, statesman and great friend of Talleyrand, bought the building has inherited at his death, his niece Genevieve de Rigny. The following is detailed later in this report. (See "City tour").

During the war of 1870-71, Bry, occupied by the Prussians suffered major destruction.

From the middle of the 19th century begins a gradual transformation of our city. The Castle Park and nurseries are off creating new neighborhoods.

Pastor boulevard is laid out in the 1920s, paving the way for urbanization of the slopes and plateau. In 1929, the city is crossed by the railway line, known as great belt.
In 1936, construction of the hospital Saint-Camille is undertaken. Suburban areas and small buildings appear.

 vign rerService to Bry is greatly enhanced with the A4 motorway (1970)
and the RER (1977). The economic development of the city follows,
with the installation of industrial and commercial enterprises.

These transformations do not prevent Bry to keep the charm of a village, where it is pleasant to live with the strengths of its site, its green spaces and all of this is just 12 km from Paris.